Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Asain Orange Chicken

I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and have made it a lot of times, making adjustments each time, to make sure it was just right before I posted it here...and because I kept forgetting to take pictures! The recipe calls for Chinese five spice powder.  I haven't been able to find it yet so I just leave it out.  This dish is really good without it but I am sure it would be even better with it so if you can find it, buy it, try it, and send me some!
I make egg drop soup to go with this but wantons would also be excellent!

Sauce:
1 cup warm water
3/4 cup brown sugar
6 Tbs orange juice
6 Tbs soy sauce
6 Tbs ketchup
3 Tbs white vinegar
2 Tbs garlic, minced
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
3 tsp grated orange peel

2 chicken breasts, cubed

6 tsp cornstarch
6 Tbs cold water
Chopped green onions, if desired
*The original recipe says to just brown the chicken but I like to mix flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder in a small bowl then dredge the chicken in the flour mixture.  Heat a few tablespoons olive oil in a skillet until hot then add chicken and cook until brown on the outside.  Mix together sauce ingredients and add to chicken.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 min.
Whisk cornstarch and water together and add to chicken and sauce mixture slowly until sauce reaches desired consistency.
Serve over cooked rice and garnish with green onions.

No comments: