Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Root Beer Chicken

Sorry folks...no pictures for this one.
Mostly because we eat it so fast that I forget it needs its own photo shoot!
Anyhow...I've served this to a couple friends, and the recipe is requested over and over. So, here it is.
I don't remember where I found it, but the creator of this dish is genius. It's SO good.
Go heat up your grills and make this at once.
GO!

Matti

Root Beer Grilled Chicken
2 cans root beer, divided use
1/2 cup smoky barbecue sauce
1/2 cup Dijon mustard, plus 1/4 cup more for marinade
brown sugar, if needed
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken
1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1 tablespoon each paprika and garlic powder
2 tablespoons olive oil

In a small saucepan, boil one can root beer until thick and syrupy, about 30 minutes.
Stir in 1/2 cup each smoky barbecue sauce and 1/2 cup Dijon. Taste sauce and add brown sugar as desired. Set aside.
Meanwhile, smear chicken with Dijon. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder; drizzle with olive oil. Place in zip top bag.
Pour second can of root beer over chicken, cover and marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
Grill or broil chicken, about five minutes per side, or until outside is nicely browned and inside is no longer pink...basting with 1/2 of the sauce made earlier as you grill (reserve other half of sauce for dipping!!).

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I've never tried something like this before. I'm sure you can't really taste the root beer in it, but if I make it, I can't tell my husband what's in it or he won't touch it. :)

Frieda Loves Bread said...

I'm sure my kiddos would LOVE this one... thanks~