Friday, September 11, 2015

Spaghetti Pie



I saw this on the Today show a couple weeks ago.  I made this weekend.  We liked the flavor but it was a little dry.  I made some notes at the bottom of what I will do differently the next time I make it!
Vera
Ingredients
 12 ounces spaghetti, cooked, ½ cup cooking water reserved
1 small yellow onion, chopped finely
1 pound ground turkey or sirloin beef
1 cup tomato paste, divided
3 large eggs
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1½ cup shredded mozzarella
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt to taste

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350.

Cook spaghetti according to instructions.

In a large skillet, saute the onions until soft. Add ground turkey or beef, and ¾ cup of the tomato paste. Add ½ cup of pasta water and stir well.  Season with salt to taste. Consistency should be like a thick Bolognese sauce, add more cooking water as needed.

In a large bowl, mix together the cooked spaghetti, eggs, Parmesan cheese, 1 cup of the mozzarella, and ¼ cup of the tomato paste.

Grease a 9 or 10-inch pie pan with olive oil. Spread half the meat mixture over the bottom of the pan. Add the spaghetti mixture and press it down to level it. Top with the remaining meat mixture then scatter the remaining mozzarella on top.

Bake the pie in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit about 10 minutes. Use a sharp knife or pizza slicer to cut into wedges like a pie.



NOTES:  My suggestions for a couple changes.  To me, the spaghetti mixture was a little to dry.  When I do this again, I will either ad some water or use tomato sauce rather than tomato paste.  I will also add a little extra water to the meat mixture.

No comments: