Sunday, October 28, 2012

Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken

I don't like Sweet and Sour Chicken so it is a funny story how I came to make this recipe.  I must have saved this recipe and an orange chicken recipe to my favorites then one day, thinking I was printing off and making the orange chicken recipe, I started making this one.  Half way through putting it together I realized it wasn't calling for orange anything.  I looked closer and realized it was the sweet and sour chicken.  Yes, I am a genius. 
That's ok, it actually tasted pretty good...for sweet and sour, and those that like sweet and sour loved this recipe.  That and it is a slow cooker recipe and you know how I love my slow cooker!  Recipe from Real Mom Kitchen.
Marie

1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
3 Tbs lemon juice
3 Tbs soy sauce
3 Tbs tomato paste
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground ginger
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 or 2 inch pieces
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup diced pineapple chunks (fresh or canned)
1/4 onion , cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 green pepper, ,cut into 1 inch pieces
cooked rice

Add the 1/2 cup water, brown sugar, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, soy sauce, tomato paste,  garlic powder, and ginger to the slow cooker an whisk until combined.
Add the chicken pieces and stir to combine.  Cook on low for 5 hours.  In a small bowl, combine the 1/3 cup water with the cornstarch.  Add to the slow cooker and carefully stir to combine.   The chicken pieces will be tender and you don't want them to shred.
Add the pineapple, onion, and bell pepper and carefully fold into the mixture. Cover and cook on low for another 45 min.
Serve over cooked rice.

No comments: