Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Pizza Roll-ups

The smithalicious girls have been a bit slow on the recipes lately.  Perhaps they are like me, so busy with summer activities to try anything new, trying really hard not to eat sweets, and too hot to turn on the oven in the afternoon.  I was so excited to come up with a recipe that I thought would be great to post then realized that Matti had done almost the same thing here!
I am going to post it anyway because it might help someone.  Summer seems to be full of hiking, road trips, and picnics which usually calls for a meal that can be easily transported (sandwiches, wraps, chicken salad, etc).  I frequently do bread sticks, string cheese and peperoni but on our latest adventure I wanted something a little different and a little easier to eat since we would be eating quick and back on our 10 hour drive.  Here is what I came up with and then later saw something similar.  By the way, I thought these were even better cold than warm, another plus!
Marie

Pizza dough (I used Melissa's recipe found here)
Sting cheese  (I cut them in half for shorter sticks) or cheese sticks
Peperoni
egg, beaten
pizza seasoning
pizza sauce for dipping, if desired

Roll out dough and cut to size.  Place a few pepperonis and a cheese stick on the dough and roll up, being careful to get the dough all the way around so that the cheese does not leak out.  Place on a baking sheet and brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with pizza seasoning.  Cook at 425 degrees for 9-12 minutes or until the dough looks done.

No comments: