Saturday, February 26, 2011

"Light" Clam Chowder


I'm a sucker for good clam chowder.
I mean really...it calls my name from restaurants that are states away.


I'm also hesitant to make it...because I actaully see how much cream and butter are going in it.

Ignorance is bliss when it comes to food for me.


However, I found this recipe in my "Cooking Light" cookbook that I've had lying around the house.


It's easy to make.

It's a little too clammy...so the second time I made it I DRAINED the clams...and CUT BACK on the clam juice a bit...maybe by half.

That made it just about right.

I'm posting my MODIFIED version of the recipe.


Enjoy!
Matti


Simple "Light" Clam Chowder from Cooking Light

2 bacon slices
2 cups chopped onion
1 1/4 cups chopped celery
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 (6 1/2-ounce) cans chopped clams,drained (I DRAINED THEM...MUCH BETTER!)
5 cups diced peeled baking potato (about 1 pound)
1 1/2 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice (I ONLY USE 1 1/2..MUCH BETTER!)
1 bay leaf
3 cups fat-free milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)

Preparation
Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp.

Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings in pan. Crumble bacon; set aside.

Add onion, celery, salt, thyme, and garlic to drippings in pan; cook 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Drain clams. Add potato, clam juice, and bay leaf to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until potato is tender. Discard bay leaf.

Combine milk and flour, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add flour mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 12 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Add clams; cook 2 minutes. Sprinkle with bacon.

Nutritional Information
Calories:257 (10% from fat)
Fat:2.9g (sat 0.6g,mono 0.6g,poly 0.7g)
Protein:28.5g
Carbohydrate:27.9g
Fiber:2g
Cholesterol:67mg
Iron:26.6mg
Sodium:475mg

No comments: