Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sarah Salad


I found this over at Real Mom Kitchen and have made it at least a dozen times without getting pictures. It is very good, and different from the usual green salad.


It is simalar to this one that Vera posted.


I had the opportunity to make a salad for company last weekend and took a picture this time.

Marie


1 head of iceberg lettuce (I have also used romaine. If using bagged salad, use 1 1/2 bags)
3 strips of bacon (I use real bacon bits)
1/2 of a 10 oz pkg. frozen peas
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese (I usually use mozzarella because that is what I have on hand)
2/3 cups diced green onion
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup salad dressing (like Miracle Whip)



Wash and drain lettuce, dry thoroughly and tear into pieces


Dice and cook bacon until crisp; drain and cool on paper towel.


Put frozen peas in a colander. Run hot water over peas to thaw. Drain peas.


Tear lettuce into bit sized pieces and place in salad bowl. I use a glass one, the layers look nice.


Sprinkle sugar, salt, and pepper over top of lettuce.


Add peas, cheese, onion, mayo, and salad dressing.


*If making salad ahead of time layer ingredients in order listed finishing with mayo and salad dressing. I just drop the mayo and salad dressing by spoon fulls over the top of the salad. Then you basically frost the salad with the mayo and salad dressing, like a cake. The cover tightly and refrigerate overnight or 8 hours.


Toss salad when ready to serve.

No comments: