Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Chili Rellenos Cassserole


Yesterday I took these from my mom and dads garden

And made Chili Relleno casserole!

It was so unbelievably yummy, I am sad I waited so long to try it!

I found the base for this recipe on Allrecipes.com and changed it to fit what I had and according to the readers reviews.

If you are using fresh peppers, you need to roast them to get the skins off. There are many ways I found online to do it, but we just placed them on the grill, turning until they are blackened and then place the peppers in a Ziploc bag for a few minutes. The skins will slip right off!

2 (7 ounce) cans whole green chili peppers, drained (I think I ended up using 8-10 peppers)
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
8 ounces Longhorn or Cheddar cheese, shredded
3 eggs, beaten
1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1 (8 ounce) can enchilada sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
Lay half of the chilies evenly in bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle with half of the Jack and Cheddar cheeses, and cover with remaining chilies. In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, and flour, and pour over the top of the chilies.
Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, pour tomato sauce evenly over the top, and continue baking another 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Jack and Cheddar cheeses, and serve.

Marie

1 comment:

LeMira said...

This was delicious! I made it tonight for dinner (to use up all of my chilies from my garden), and it was sooo good! Thanks!