Monday, February 1, 2010

Shortcut Rolo Cookies




It's February 1st.
The beginning of the "loveliest" and "sweetest" month of the year.

In honor of this pink and red month, I'm attempting (key word...attempt) to make a treat every day until Valentines (EXCEPT..yes there are exceptions...except for the days I get to go to work and fly in the clouds and such. You know...priorities).

Not all the treats will be new, because, lets be honest...I have some faves that need to be eaten.
But some, like today's, will be new.

Today, I attempted Rolo Cake Mix Cookies.
Now, my friends Adrianne has an AMAZING rolo recipe here. Trust me...it's divine.
However, I ran across this recipe and thought we'd try it due to it's small variety of ingredients.
First off...recipe:
ROLO CAKE MIX COOKIES
1 pkg chocolate cake mix
3 eggs
1 pkg rolo candies (Or if you're me....4 Rolo candy "bars")

Preheat oven to 350
Combine cake mix and egg in a mixing bowl.
Unwrap the Rolo's..
Form drops of dough into flat circles
**This is a VERY VERY VERY sticky dough...so drop spoonfuls on dough into sugar, then pat into flat little circles.
Place the rolo in the center, and then cover rolo with cookie dough.
You only need a small amount of dough to cover each rolo..don't use too much.
Roll cookie sugar.
Place on a cookie sheet and bake 10 minutes. (usually 20 cookies on a sheet).
Let cool on sheet and transfer to plate/cooling rack.

Okay, now the verdict.
While I am a weakling for chocolate and caramel..these were not my favorite.
The dough was very hard to work with.
The sugar (in multiple phases) made them too gritty.
And the dough was about as chewy as the caramel.

Yes, they look yummy.
And yes...they are quite edible (I know...I've eaten 7 already).
But...the long version from Adrianne is well worth it.
Either way...get some Rolo's, find a recipe...and go wild!

No comments: