Thursday, January 22, 2009

Homemade Graham Crackers

by Brenda

I made these for the first time this week and have already made two batches.

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup cold water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a food processor mix together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add the cold butter and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 30 seconds or so. Add the honey, water and vanilla. Mix until dough starts to come together in a ball, another 30 seconds. (I don't have a food processor, so I just used my little hand pastry blender thingy to cut the butter in. After the butter was cut in I used a spoon and then my hands to mix it all together.) Place dough between 2 sheets of waxed or parchment paper, roll the dough to about 1/8 inch thick. Chill for at least 1 hour, until firm.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Take dough out of fridge and roll a bit more, if needed. With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut into 2 inch squares. Arrange the crackers on baking sheets. With a toothpick, prick several holes in each cracker. Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly browned at the edges. Remove from oven and let cool on the pan.

Note: As I was looking on the Internet for this recipe, I read that you can substitute molasses for half the honey (i.e. use 2 tablespoons honey and 2 tablespoons molasses). I used molasses and honey the first time and then made another batch the next day with all honey. I liked all honey a little better, but the other way was good as well.

No comments: