Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Black Bean-Taco Salad with Lime Vinagrette

This amazingly delicious dish came from myrecipes.com but I found it floating around Pinterest. I was a little worried about how my family was going to react but every single one of the kids loved it--even the non-lettuce eating ones! I did leave out the tomato because I didn't have one and the onion because I didn't feel like onion that day.
I made the vinaigrette ahead of time, while I was fixing lunch, to speed up meal preparation that evening. My husband grilled up the chicken seasoned with salt, pepper and Natures Seasoning (Have you ever tried that? If not, go to your grocery store and buy some. It makes veggies and meat taste that much better.) but you could probably cook it in a skillet or in your broiler.
Marie

Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup chopped, seeded tomato (I used 1/4 cup bottled tomatoes, drained)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 Tbs olive oil
1 Tbs cider vinegar
1 Tbs lime juice
1 tsp grated lime rind
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1 clove garlic
Combine in a blender or food processor, process until smooth. Let sit for 30 min to a few hours

Salad:
8 cups thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
1 1/2 cups chopped chicken breast
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup finely diced red onion
1/2-1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 (15 oz)can black beans
Chopped olives

Combine all salad ingredients, drizzle with vinaigrette right before serving and serve with tortilla chips

No comments: