Saturday, May 2, 2009

Rhubarb Pie...and my new favorite baking secret

Rhubarb is on.
Not many people "love" this vegetable (yes, it's true...a veggie)..but I do. In pies and bars and cakes..etc. It gives the right amount of tart when cooked right.

However, the recipe for rhubarb pie that I have, does not require "pre-cooking" the filling (something that drives me crazy because it takes more time than I care to give to a pie). The result is still delicious..but a little runny once all the juices seep out.

Enter...my new secret weapon:

My mother found it for me at Kitchen Kneads in Salt Lake City. This little powder makes things thick. The trick? Unlike corn starch and flour...you can add it to COLD and HOT liquids too...and in won't clump! Yay!!!!! I've already used it in multiple dishes...and then tried it out in my pie mixture.

Results:
Less runny pie!
Still delicious!
Here ya go.
-Matti

Rhubarb Pie with Perfect Crust

Crust (from PW)
3 C. Flour
1 1/2 C. Shortening (I used Butter Shortening)
2 tsp. Salt
5 Tbsp. Ice Water
1 Tbsp. Vinegar
1 Egg

Mix flour, lard and salt with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl, whisk egg and add to flour mixture. Add COLD water, salt and vinegar and stir into dry ingredients until combines. Handle dough as little as possible.
Separate into 3 equal size balls of dough, and place each in a large zip lock bag.

Using rolling pin, flatten each ball to about 1/2 inch thick (this will make rolling it later much easier). Seal bags and place them in the freezer until ready to use. If needed immediately..its best to chill them in the freezer at least 15-20 minutes.
When ready to use, thaw dough, roll out on floured surface until 1/2 inch larger in diameter than your pie pan (for both top and bottom crusts).

Filling
2 1/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup flour
6 cups 1/2 inch pieces of rhubarb
1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces.
2-3 tablespoons ultra-gel

To Make Pie:
Heat Oven to 425.
Mix sugar, flour and ultra-gel in large bowl. Add rhubarb and stir until well combined.
Place in pastry lined pie plate.
Sprinkle butter pieces over rhubarb.

Cover with top pastry..cut slits in top to vent.
Seal and flute edges.
Brush top with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar (alot of sugar..if you're me).
Cover edges with 2-3 inches of alumn. foil to prevent excessive browning.

Bake 50-55 minutes or until crust is golden brown and juice bubbles through.
Cool on wire rack AT LEAST 3 HOURS!

Get your ice cream and spoon...and enjoy!

1 comment:

Abby said...

I have never had rhubarb. Even though I AM Southern. One of these Springs it'll find its way to my kitchen.

That pie looks SO good. Love the double crust.