Saturday, April 18, 2009

Ham Fried Rice...at home

It's no secret that I'm a HUGE lover of oriental food (all of it...yes, sushi included).
I particularly love a good serving of ham fried rice.
After watching my mom make it for years...I decided to come up with my own recipe.
That right...this is an original. It's pretty close to the real deal...and no MSG. Woo hoo!
Enjoy!
-Matti

HAM FRIED RICE
Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups cubed ham
1 bunch green onion, chopped
1-2 tablespoon diced garlic
1 tablespoon crushed ginger
5 - 6 cups cooked rice
sesame seeds
terriyaki sauce
soy sauce


In LARGE skillet (I use my "plug in" skillet with lid...perfect size), heat to med high.
Spray with cooking spray.

On one side of skillet, scramble two eggs.
On opposite side...cook garlic, ginger, ham and grn onion until ham it cooked through...and a little browned.

Stir all ingredients together.
Add rice.

Season with soy and terriyaki (equal parts), until desired flavor is reached, stirring together after each addition.

Pat down and let rice "fry" a little (brown it). Then stir and do the same one more time.

Serve with toasted sesame seeds.

Variations (things our family likes to add here and there to "mix" it up)
Bean Sprouts
Peas (fresh or frozen)
Cooked chicken
Cooked shrimp

3 comments:

The Picanco Family said...

Matti - I love fried rice, but have never tried making it at home. Yummy! I think I know what I am making at my house this week.

Heather Wells said...

I made this and loved it. Thanks for the recipe!

Veronica Haley said...

love sushi too!