Friday, October 24, 2008

Chicken with Cornmeal Dumplings

by Brenda

I recently got this recipe from Better Homes & Gardens, we tried it tonight and fell in love with it. It is really easy and fast to make (took about 20-30 minutes).

1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp ground sage
12 oz skinless boneless chicken breasts
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
1 14 oz can chicken broth (I put 2 chicken boulion cubes in 14 oz water)
1/2 cup milk
1 11/5 oz pgk. refrigerated corn bread twists
1/2 cup cheese (recipe says mexican blend, I used colby jack)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In resealable bag combine flour, sage & 1/4 tsp each of salt & pepper. Cut chicken in bite-size pieces. Add to bag; coat.

In skillet over medium-high heat stir and brown chicken in hot oil for 2 minutes (I cooked my chicken for more like 5 minutes to make sure it would get cooked). Put vegetables in colander, run cold water over them. Add vegetables along with broth and milk to chicken. Bring to boiling; stir. Divide among four small baking dishes. Separate cornbreatd strips and place over dishes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 9-10 minutes.

Note: I just put everything into an 8x8 baking dish and put the cornbread over the pan diagonally and cooked for the same amount of time and it worked just fine. I also added a little more sage, salt & pepper because we like lots of flavor in our dishes.

No comments: